Sunday, October 24, 2010

Spurs game with Kin Man Hui

A former Ranger staff now shooting for the SA Express-News, Kin Man Hui offered to take me along to the Spurs game last Thursday when I-10 rivals the Houston Rockets visited the AT&T Center for the final preseason game.

When I decided to become a photojournalist four years ago while mentoring with the Express-News for a senior project, I dreamed about joining the pros along the baseline of an NBA game. Getting there again with the greater responsibility of an assignment, along with improved abilities and well-earned equipment, remains my goal.

Being a huge Spurs fan, my interest in what I called "newspaper photography" was fueled by watching how close photographers were to the action, providing viewers with images of what I consider the closest level that watching a game can get, without actually being there.

So I parked my car at the Express newsroom, and Kin Man drove over to the AT&T Center. I had no idea about how close to the action, and realizing that my dream job is reality, I was about to get.

I owe enormous thanks to photo editor William Luther, who taught me a great deal during my first year, Kin Man and others at the Express-News who helped me get out there.

Kin Man put together a great slideshow on mysa.com with a few of my pics! Click the photo to view a slideshow of my pics from the night:



Tyler Cleveland/Special to the Express-News

No comments: